Financial Supports Available

Domiciliary Care Allowance  

Domiciliary Care Allowance (DCA) is a monthly payment of €309.50 for a child aged under the age of 16 with a severe disability. It is not a means tested payment. In order to qualify for this payment, the child must require ongoing care that is substantially over and above the care and attention usually required by a child of the same age. All children receiving Domiciliary Care Allowance are entitled to a medical card that is not means tested.

Domiciliary Care Allowance Form
Domiciliary Care Allowance Information Leaflet
Domiciliary Care Allowance Medical Guidelines

Disability Allowance

Disability Allowance is a weekly payment which is paid to people over the age of 16 with a disability. If you qualify for the payment you may also be entitled to extra social welfare benefits and other supplementary welfare payments. If you are attending school at 16 you are still entitled to get Disability Allowance.

Disability Allowance Form
Medical Assessment Review Information


Carer’s Support Grant (Respite Grant) 

The Carer’s Support Grant is an annual payment made in June to carers. Carers may use the grant to pay for respite care or whatever they wish. This payment is automatically paid to carers receiving Carer’s
Allowance, Carer’s Benefit or Domiciliary Care Allowance for each person they care for.

Carers Grant Allowance Application Form
Carers Grant Allowance Information


Carer’s Allowance

Carers Allowance is a payment made to people who are looking after a person who needs support because of age, disability or illness including mental illness and are on a low income. Carer’s Allowance is not taken into account in the assessment for a medical card. If you qualify for the payment you may also qualify for the household benefits package (if you are living with the person you are caring for) and a Free Travel Pass.

Carers Allowance Application Form

Carers Benefit

Carer’s Benefit is a payment made to insured people who leave the workforce to care for a person or persons who are in need of full-time care and attention. The total period you can get Carers Benefit for is 104 weeks for each person being cared for. This may be claimed as a single continuous period or in any number of separate periods up to a total of 104 weeks. However, if you claim Carer’s Benefit for less than six consecutive weeks in any given period you must wait for a further six weeks before you can claim Carer’s Benefit to care for the same person again.

Carers Benefit Information
Carers Benefit Application Form
Carers Benefit Additional Person Application Form

Incapacitated Child Tax Credit

You can claim for the Incapacitated Child Tax Credit if you have a child who is permanently incapacitated, either physically or mentally and unable to support themselves. If you have more than one child who is permanently incapacitated you may claim a credit for each child.

Incapacitated Child Tax Credit Claim Form
Incapacitated Child Tax Credit Application Form Medical Practioner
Incapacitated Child Tax Credit Information


Medical Card

In order to qualify for a medical card your weekly income must be below a certain amount depending on your family size. Investments, savings and property excluding your own home are taken into account in the means test. If your income is above the qualifying conditions, you may still qualify for a GP Visit card. If you receive a medical card you are entitled to a number of services such as free GP care, prescribed medications, dental care, maternity and infant care, optical services, public hospital services, aural services, community care services, public health services and short term counselling services. You may now also apply directly online for a medical card and renew your card online.

Online Medical Card Application
Online GP Visit Application
Medical Card GP Visit Card Application Form


Tax Relief for Assistance Dogs for Adults and Children

If you require a trained service dog or assistance dog, you may claim €825. This is the equivalent of a tax credit of €165 as a health expense, similar to the relief allowed for Guide Dog Allowance. To qualify for the tax relief in relation to an assistance dog you must provide a letter confirming that you have a trained dog. The letter must be from the supplier of the dog and the supplier must be an organisation accredited by Assistance Dogs Europe (ADEu). You will need a statement from the organisation which supplied the dog to accompany your first claim. The relief may be granted for every year during which you maintain the dog.

Revenue Tax Claim Application


Tax Relief Educational Psychologist and Speech and Language Therapy

You can claim relief on the cost of an assessment carried out by an educational psychologist. You can also claim relief on the cost of speech and language therapy for a child. The therapy must be carried out by a qualified speech and language therapist.

Revenue Tax Claim Application


Tax Relief Hygiene Products And Special Clothing

You can claim relief on hygiene products or special clothing if these are necessary for the child’s treatment. You can claim up to a maximum of €500 for these.

Revenue Tax Claim Application

Aids and appliances Tax Relief

Repayment of Value-Added Tax (VAT) paid on certain aids and appliances may be claimed by persons with disabilities.

Aids and Appliances Tax Relief Information


Tax Relief Employing A Carer

You may claim tax relief on the cost of employing a person to take care of yourself, your family member, spouse or civil partner who is totally incapacitated due to physical or mental infirmity. If you claim relief for employing a carer you cannot claim the Incapacitated Child Tax Credit.

Revenue Tax Claim Application

July Education Programme

The scheme provides funding for an extended school year for children with a severe or profound general learning disability or children with autism. Where school-based provision is not feasible, 40 hours of home based tuition may be grant aided.

July Education Programme Information


Housing Adaptation Grant

The housing adaptation grant can be applied for through your Local Authority and is available where changes need to be made to a home to make it suitable for a person with a sensory, intellectual or physical disability or a mental health difficulty to live in. You must occupy the property as your normal place of residence when the works have been completed. You must have written confirmation of approval from your landlord if you are renting a property.

Local Authorities